Heidi Strobel, black and white photo, long curly hair, smiling

Heidi Strobel

Chair, Department of Art History
Professor, Art History
940-565-4777
Heidi.Strobel@unt.edu
Art Building, Room 230F

 

Heidi Strobel holds a Ph.D. (2000) and M.A. in art history from the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, and a B.A. in European history from Kalamazoo College, Kalamazoo, Mich. She is a specialist in 18th-century gender and material culture and co-editor of Materializing Gender in 18th-century Europe (2016, with Jennifer Germann) and the author of The Artistic Matronage of Queen Charlotte (1744-1818): How a Queen Promoted Both Art and Female Artists in English Society (2011).

In the course of her research, Strobel has gained expertise in the field of textile studies, a key part of her upcoming book on Leicester textile artist Mary Linwood (1755-1845). The Art of Mary Linwood: Embroidery, Installation, and the Popular Picturesque will be the first book on Linwood and a catalog of her work, which is scheduled to be published by Bloomsbury in late 2021 as part of the publisher's Material Culture of Art and Design series. Strobel's research on Linwood has been generously supported by recent grants from the Yale Center for British Art, the Paul Mellon Centre for Studies in British Art, the American Philosophical Society, the Pasold Textile Research Fund Grant, and the University of Evansville. She is an active member of the American Society for 18th-Century Studies, Historians of 18th-Century Art and Architecture, the Textile Society of America, and the American Alliance of Museums.

At the University of Evansville, Evansville, Ind., Strobel taught art history in the Department of Archaeology and Art History and served as associate dean of the William L. Ridgway College of Arts and Sciences since 2015. She also is the curator of the Peters-Margedant House, a Usonian home that was built by Indiana native William Wesley Peters, chief engineer and apprentice to Frank Lloyd Wright. As the curator, she helped raise $225,000 for the physical move of this house to campus and recently acquired three grants from Indiana Landmarks and the Evansville Preservation Alliance for the upkeep and maintenance of this historical home.