10+ Frequently Asked Questions, Future Undergrad Students

Here you will find the most frequently asked questions from incoming students. If your question isn't here, feel free to send an email to CVAD@unt.edu .

1. How do I apply to the College of Visual Arts and Design at the University of North Texas?
You can apply through the ApplyTexas website, www.applytexas.org, or the Common App, www.commonapp.org. There is no separate admissions process for incoming students and no portfolio is required to begin. We look forward to receiving your application!
2. Do I need to submit my portfolio after applying to the university?
No! You will create a portfolio of work here in CVAD. However, you may be interested to know that all B.F.A. programs require that students begin as pre-majors; in order to pursue the full major, you must successfully complete the entry-review process that happens in conjunction with your coursework. Portfolio assignments are specific to each review process. More information can be found on the CVAD web page for Curriculum Guides for Undergraduate Degrees and Majors that includes each program and the respective curriculum guides.
3. Do I have to attend orientation?
Yes, all newly accepted students must attend orientation. During orientation, your academic advisor will review your transcripts and degree plan; no separate appointment is needed. After this meeting, you will have the steps to register for courses. We look forward to seeing you there!
4. Do I need art experience to be successful in CVAD?
No! CVAD provides an opportunity for students who have a wide range of skills including no experience at all.
5. Does CVAD have an animation program?
No, there is no animation program at UNT in any college. But remember, one major does not equal one career! Depending on your interests and goals, you may want to check out other CVAD options, such as New Media Art or other UNT programs such as Media Arts: Radio, TV and Film in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, or Computer Science in the College of Engineering.
6. What happens if I can't decide between two different majors when applying?
It's OK to be undecided at first! All CVAD majors require a common set of art foundation courses. We recommend that you read the curriculum guides to find out more.
Still need help deciding? Please email your questions to CVAD, CVAD@unt.edu.
7. May I double major?
While certain majors do work well together, we recommend that you visit first with us about your ideas. Send an email to us at CVAD@unt.edu, or ask your academic advisor for guidance when you attend your UNT Orientation.
8. If I have transfer credits, will it take only two years to complete my bachelor's degree?
Maybe not. There are a couple of majors in the College of Visual Arts and Design that require the standard of three to four years even with transfer-credit hours. For details, we strongly recommend that you visit with us about your situation by sending an email to CVAD@unt.edu.
9. Does CVAD accept Dual Credit, Advanced Placement, or International Baccalaureate credit?
Yes, please refer to the UNT Credit by Examination web page.
10. How do I apply for a CVAD scholarship?
You must attend CVAD for at least a semester before applying for any of the many CVAD Scholarships.

Important Note: Other scholarships may be available through the UNT Financial Aid and Scholarships Office. Every semester, be sure to fill out the UNT General Scholarship Application. Read more on the CVAD Paying for College web page.
11. How do I check the status of my application for admission?
MyUNT! It's an app for you! Once you have applied for admission to UNT, you can track the status of your application through your student account found online at MyUNT. Just log in with your Enterprise User ID, EUID, and personal ID number, PIN. If any required items are missing from your application, those will be listed. Any updates made to your application are reflected on the MyUNT portal page. Also, if you have applied for financial aid or scholarships, MyUNT lets you view the status of those applications.

Note: You will need to activate your EUID and password before you log into MyUNT. Your EUID and PIN are emailed to you after you have paid your application fee. They will be sent to the email address you provided when you applied. If you have applied and paid the application fee but did not receive this email, please contact the UNT Admissions Office.

Mark your calendar to find your creative home at CVAD!